Monday, February 28, 2011

Hi, I'm Whitney and I'm a SciFi lover....


So I don’t know why I’ve ignored this fact for so long... I avoid the SciFi section at the bookstore. I skip over the SciFi channel unless provoked. In short I deprive my totally obvious inner nerd for no rational reason!!

The signs are all there... LOST, Fringe, Charlaine Harris, Stephen King, even Lewis Carroll!! The final kick in the head notification came this weekend when I read Beth Revis’ Across the Universe. It’s total teenaged science fiction at it’s best and I loved every minute of it. Again, I avoided it like the plaque... “Ughhh cryogentically frozen space people no thank you” even though Amazon, Livingsocial, and Goodreads all screamed their recommendations at me and tons of knitting librarians in my RaveLibrarians group sang it’s praises! I simply thought I knew my reading tastes better!! I was mistaken!



From Wikipedia

“Science fiction is a genre of fiction dealing with the impact of imagined innovations in science or technology, often in a futuristic setting.[1][2][3]
It differs from fantasy in that, within the context of the story, its imaginary elements are largely possible within scientifically established or scientifically postulated laws of nature (though some elements in a story might still be pure imaginative speculation). Exploring the consequences of such differences is the traditional purpose of science fiction, making it a "literature of ideas".[4] Science fiction is largely based on writing rationally about alternative possibilities.[5]
The settings for science fiction are often contrary to known reality, but the majority of science fiction relies on a considerable degree of suspension of disbelief, which is facilitated in the reader's mind by potential scientific    explanations or solutions to various fictional elements.”

Even the definition sounds like something I would read... now I’m left to ponder what other mental blocks I’ve placed on myself...

2 comments:

  1. What? There are other genres of books out there, that don't involve knitting? I don't understand...

    Embrace your inner geek, baby! Glad you found a great read. =)

    (PS - I love your blog background!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I go through phases with the books I read, but I do love Sci-Fi! I'm stuck on historical fiction right, working my way through the novels of David Liss. I swear, when I find an author, I latch on!

    That book you recommended looks good!

    ReplyDelete