Tuesday, March 31, 2009

This Month's Book Review

While it is very hard to knit and read at the same time, sometimes my urge to read a good book actually overtakes my urge to knit (only sometimes). The only problem is that I am very picky when it comes to books. I usually don't stick with one genre, sometimes I need a good romance, sometimes I need an intellectual boost, sometimes a simple young adult Harry Potter type book, and sometimes a thriller. With this latest reading urge I finally gave into the crowd and read my first James Patterson novel.

I read the first book in the "Women's Murder Club" series, 1st to Die. From James Patterson's website...

A serial killer is stalking and murdering newlyweds on their honeymoon. San Francisco Homicide inspector Lindsay Boxer takes the case and along the way meets three other women–a lawyer, a reporter, and the city medical examiner. Joining forces to solve this gruesome crime, the Women's Murder Club is born.

I loved it! It had a good pace, it was interesting, and compelling. All of the characters were well developed but I liked Claire, the bold, caring, southern-momma like medical examiner, the best. While she wasn't the main narrator in this one, I felt I identified with her over the other more aggressive females in "the club." I hope that the other books in this series use the other ladies as narrators, giving each book their own personal twist. This first book had the police inspector, Lindsay, as it's main narrator, using the other three women for their insight into this career building case while battling with her own health, and social problems. I hope in the other books we'll get more in depth looks into the lives of the other leading ladies.

I believe there are currently seven books out in this series with an eighth book due out this summer, but don't quote me on that. I have the second book on hold at the library; hopefully it'll come in before my reading urges go away and the total knitting obsession settles back in.

No comments:

Post a Comment